There is a limit of 10MB of space per user.
We do not support CGI (Common Gateway Interface) for individual accounts. For security reasons, file extensions of ".cgi" in an account holders directory will not be recognized by the server as a CGI program. Visual Basic and server-side Java are not supported. Executable programs are not supported and will be deleted without notice.
FrontPage Extensions are not installed on the server. FrontPage Server Extensions are programs that run on the Web server to handle server side processing of components that are built into FrontPage. Some web features require the computer at the other end to respond to your input. This is called server-side processing or server side scripting. These features are maintained by a server administrator. FrontPage has features built in that assume the existence of a web server that has the FrontPage Extensions installed. Due to security concerns our server does not run the FrontPage Extensions. What this means is that when you are creating a web page with FrontPage you need to make sure that you don't use any of the unsupported features. Features built into FrontPage that require FrontPage server extensions include:
Database Results Wizard Discussion Form Handler Send To Database Form Handler FrontPage created server-side Image Maps Nested Sub webs Hit Counter Lightweight Source Control
(Document Check-in/Check-out without VSS)
Registration Form Handler Categories Component Save Results Form Handler StyleSheet links to multiple files or ASP files Search Form Confirmation Field
Within FrontPage you can disable these options so they won't appear as options to tempt you.
- On the Tools menu, click Page Options.
- On the Compatibility tab, clear the Enabled with Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions check box.
When editing a page in Page view, go to the Insert menu and click Component; note that you can no longer select components that rely on the FrontPage Server Extensions.
Once you have done this you will no longer need to worry about implementing non-standard features.
Please read our Web Standards and Guidelines for more information.
Terms of Agreement
We ask that you read our Terms of Agreement carefully and take the time to understand them. If you don't understand, please feel free to ask us before registering. Infringement of these guidelines could result in your account being terminated without notice.
- Account registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. If the capacity of the server is reached, account registration will be discontinued.
- Web page hosting is reserved solely for public education organizations and classrooms. Administrative and student accounts are not allowed.
- Student access to an account can be granted by the account holder only if the account holder provides direct supervision of such students and accepts full responsibility for the actions of such students. Students given access to an account must engage only in supervised activities designated by their teacher and not in activities that are personal in nature or outside the scope of classroom activity.
- Applicants must be able to design and implement their own web pages or have taken courses in web page design and HTML coding.
- FTP, or web-authoring programs that support FTP, are required for management of home pages. For security reasons, FrontPage extensions are not installed on the server. FrontPage web pages can be uploaded using FrontPage FTP or other FTP software.
- Web page development is to be done on a computer that is under the personal control of the account holder. This can be a personal computer, classroom computer, or a server other than the FIRN server. When the development or updating of a page is complete, the account holder can then upload the files to the FIRN server using FTP. Development of the web site on a remote computer insures that the account holder has, at all times, a current backup of all information uploaded to the FIRN server. Such backups are the full responsibility of the account holder. In case of disk failure or file corruption on the FIRN server, account holders will be expected to re-post all appropriate web pages, scripts, and data files from their own computer.
- You are welcome to use any web page development software you like. This includes web-authoring software, HTML editors, and text editors for manual HTML coding. Software that is currently being used includes FrontPage, FrontPage Express, Netscape Communicator, Dreamweaver, GoLive and Homesite.
- Domain name registration and hosting is not provided.
By obtaining an account, you agree to follow these guidelines:
- You may not upload any material that violates or infringes on the copyright, intellectual property rights, service marks or trademark rights of any individual or organization. This includes, but is not limited to, all sound and video files/formats, images, and text media. This also applies to linking directly to illegal files or other sites that offer any illegal material.
- Sound and video files to which you own the rights may be uploaded only if you can provide the necessary written documentation of such rights. You will be expected to provide copies of such documentation to any person or organization making a request for the information. Midi files are unrestricted, and you do not need approval for them.
(Note: You may upload these materials if you first obtain written permission from the copyright or trademark owner.)
- Piracy, hacking, cracking, phreaking, warez, pyrotechnics, exploitive software or text that educates or encourages this activity are not allowed.
- Deliberately changing the extension of a file to hide its contents will cause it to be considered an illegal file and will result in the immediate termination of your account.
- You may not upload ROMs and Emulators. We agree with the game manufacturers and will continue to support their fight against them. This is non-negotiable.
- You may not publish any material that is grossly offensive to the general on-line community, including but not limited to, exploitation of children, blatant expressions of bigotry, hatred, harassment, defamation, invasion of privacy or excessive profanity (cursing). This includes material that defames, abuses, harasses or threatens any person or group. We reserve the right to be the final judge as to what is or is not acceptable.
- Adult content is not allowed. Adult content is considered to be anything that contains nudity, pornography, or sexual material of a lewd, lecherous or obscene nature and intent, or that violates local, state or national laws.
- Spam is not allowed and we will terminate your account for such action. You may not reference your hosted web site in any unsolicited email that you send. Note: This does not include personal mailing lists where the people on the list have chosen to receive mail from the list.
- Your account may not be used as a storage or backup facility. All files in your directory must be linked from publicly accessible HTML pages. We prevent the theft of bandwidth and use as storage by limiting the linking ability from other servers to HTML files only.
- Mirroring commercial sites is not allowed.
- You may not link to or offer to distribute any material that is not acceptable or allowed by our Guidelines.
- You are solely and fully responsible for the contents of your account. Any and all repercussions will be born solely by you as the account holder.
- The Department of Education makes no guarantee of availability of service and reserves the right to change, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the hosting service. In no event will we be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive damages arising out of the use of or inability to use our services or any content thereon. This disclaimer applies, without limitation, to any damages or injury, whether for breach of contract, tort, or otherwise, caused by any failure of performance; error; omission; interruption; deletion; defect; delay in operation or transmission; computer virus; file corruption; communication line failure; network or system outage; or theft, destruction, unauthorized access to, alteration of, or use of any record.
- The Department of Education reserves the right to change or amend these Guidelines at any time and without prior notice. It is your responsibility to be familiar with these Guidelines in the event that they change at any future time. By uploading any content to our servers, you signify your agreement to these Guidelines. If you do not agree to these Guidelines, please do not obtain an account.
- We reserve the right to terminate any account without warning or notice and to examine the contents of any account at any time.